• Skip to main content

Ohio Democrats

Donate
  • Party Leadership
  • Take Action
  • News
  • Store
  • Vote
  • Donate
  • facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram

Uncategorized

Dec 17 2021

ICYMI: Salon: Ohio Candidate J.D. Vance Calls Out Walmart For “Slave Labor” — And Heavily Invests In Its Stock

Columbus, OH — According to a new Salon report, U.S. Senate candidate J.D. Vance has heavily criticized Walmart for undermining American jobs while being personally invested in the company. 

Vance went after Walmart for using “slave labor” but according to Vance’s personal financial disclosure, he owns between $50,000 and $100,000 in Walmart stock. Vance also participated in a “fireside chat” with a Walmart executive in 2017. This adds to a long list of saying one thing and doing another from Vance, from criticizing Big Tech while deriving a “great deal” of his income from Big Tech-related ventures to promising to address Ohio’s opioid crisis but creating a nonprofit that was nothing more than a vanity project to boost his own political ambitions and enrich his political cronies. 

“With his continued investment in a company that outsourced jobs to China, Silicon Valley Vance shows his top priority is looking out for his own bottom line, not Ohio workers. Ohioans know the last thing they need is another out-of-touch millionaire who only looks out for his own financial interest, not theirs,” said Michael Beyer, a spokesperson for the Ohio Democratic Party. 

Salon: Ohio candidate J.D. Vance calls out Walmart for “slave labor” — and heavily invests in its stock

Igor Derysh 

December 17, 2021 

  • Ohio Republican Senate candidate J.D. Vance has accused Walmart of using “slave labor” to make cheap products that undermine American jobs. But his latest personal financial disclosure shows he owns at least $50,000 in Walmart stock.
  • Vance, who made a fortune as a venture capitalist before writing the best-selling book “Hillbilly Elegy,” submitted his personal financial disclosure last month after missing the original filing deadline. It indicates that he owns between $50,000 and $100,000 in Walmart stock. (Such disclosure forms list ranges, rather than precise amounts.)
  • Vance also participated in a 2017 “fireside chat” with Walmart executive Daniel Eckert to discuss business issues as well as the “populist movement” that “propelled Donald Trump into the presidency.”
  • Now that he is seeking the Republican nomination for an open Ohio Senate seat — and hoping to land former President Donald Trump’s endorsement — Vance has taken to criticizing the company and its reliance on China, which has become a popular GOP target.
  • During an event in Dover, Ohio, in October, Vance blamed politicians from both parties for shipping “a lot of our manufacturing base off to China.”
  • “The thought was we get a lot of cheap stuff in return,” he said. “They make it more cheaply because they were relying on slave labor. So maybe you go to Walmart and things don’t cost as much. But in the process, a lot of middle-class people lost those good jobs that enabled them to support them.”
  • Vance reiterated his belief that Walmart relies on slave labor in an interview with conservative commentator Buck Sexton, accusing the company of using diversity and inclusion programs to distract from the issue.
  • “Who cares if you are employing Chinese slaves? Who cares if you are benefiting from the Communist Chinese Party’s slave labor?” he said. “So long as you are properly woke, so long as you teach diversity, equity and inclusion at your workplace, you won’t face any scrutiny, you won’t face any consequences.”
  • Walmart has faced allegations that it uses slave labor for years. The company says it has taken steps to address forced labor and ensure compliance with its responsible sourcing policies.
  • During an appearance in Youngstown last month, Vance argued that a “bunch of idiot leaders” decided to ship middle-class American jobs to China and “countries that hate us” in return for “a lot of cheap plastic garbage at Walmart.”
  • This has been a theme of his Ohio campaign since he announced his candidacy in July, arguing in an op-ed that American leaders had made the indefensible choice that Americans should “be able to buy cheaper consumer goods at Walmart instead of having access to a good job.”
  • On that issue, he has a point. An analysis by the progressive Economic Policy Institute found that Walmart’s outsourcing to companies in China may have eliminated 400,000 jobs between 2001 and 2013. But in none of his campaign speeches or appearances has Vance disclosed that he is an investor in the company he accuses of killing American jobs and relying on “slave labor.” A spokesman for Vance did not respond to questions from Salon.
  • Vance has also drawn accusations of hypocrisy over his campaign against Big Tech, which he has accused of censoring conservatives, since he has spent years investing in tech startups at his venture capital firm Narya and before that at Mithril Capital, a Silicon Valley venture capital firm co-founded by Peter Thiel, a Facebook board member.
  • On the campaign trail, Vance has also tied himself in knots trying to reposition himself as a pro-Trump Republican after repeatedly bashing the former president over the past several years before deciding to run for office himself. Vance in 2016 said he could not “stomach Trump” and said his policy proposals “range from immoral to absurd.” He now says he has had a change of heart and has ventured on something of an apology tour, even tagging along with Thiel — a major Trump donor who has sunk $10 million in Vance’s campaign — on a trip to Mar-a-Lago seeking an audience with Trump.
  • Vance’s campaign is also backed by the billionaire investors Robert and Rebekah Mercer, who helped fund Trump’s 2016 campaign and financially backed many of the players involved in stoking Trump’s election lies and the Jan. 6 assault on the Capitol.

###

Written by Alex Willard · Categorized: Uncategorized

Dec 17 2021

“Failed,” “Flailing” And “Unforgivable”: How Republicans Spent The Week Attacking Their #OHSEN Candidates

December 17, 2021

Happy Friday, and welcome to “Buckeye Brawl,” a weekly newsletter from the Ohio Democratic Party highlighting the nasty, chaotic and expensive Republican primary for Senate. This out-of-control primary is making conservatives “deeply worried” about the prospects of Republicans losing this seat.

As the Republican Senate primary continues to sink lower and lower, these GOP candidates are injecting even more nasty personal attacks, more chaos and more money into this race. We’re here to help you keep track of all of it.

Two new reports this month showed just how nasty this race has gotten. WVXU’s Howard Wilkinson said this GOP Senate primary may be “Ohio’s ugliest ever.” And Fox News’ Paul Steinhauser said that “the showdown is fast becoming the most expensive and ugly GOP Senate contest.” 

Here’s what you may have missed:

AN UNFORGIVABLE DEMOCRAT. On the Mark Levin Show, Mandel went after J.D. Vance for his political transformation on Trump, saying, “The fact that my opponent J.D. Vance did that and refused to vote for President Trump, it’s just unforgivable.” Mandel then said J.D. Vance should be running on the Democratic ticket. In a race that’s all about Trump (with attack ads airing highlighting Vance’s anti-Trump past), this issue isn’t going away any time soon.

A FAILED, FLAILING RINO. Following Mike Gibbons’ ad saying J.D. Vance is on the wrong team for his anti-Trump past, Vance’s campaign responded in an email to their supporters. The email says, “Another day, another RINO attack against JD Vance. This time, it’s already-failed-candidate, Mike Gibbons…Now, Gibbons is running another flailing campaign where he is failing to gain any traction among Ohio Patriots.” It’s hard to keep track of who’s a RINO in this race because it seems like everyone!

“A BUNCH OF WEALTHY PEOPLE.” Josh Mandel (a millionaire) went after other GOP Senate candidates in an interview with Mark Levin, saying he is running against a bunch of wealthy people. Mandel has a point, the Republican primary does have a large number of self-funding millionaires with “eye-popping” amounts of money in their financial disclosures. In typical Mandel fashion, he forgot to include himself. Mandel is an out-of-touch millionaire who serves on corporate boards, fitting right in with the rest of the field!

MORENO VERSUS HIMSELF. Chris Pack, a consultant for Matt Dolan (why?), went after Bernie Moreno (who?) for changing his position on whether the 2020 election was stolen. Moreno apparently forgot there are tweets out there of him saying “accept the results” and “now is the time for unity.” Pack said, “We’ve seemingly entered the ‘Bernie Moreno vs. himself’ phase” of the Ohio Senate race. Well, everyone in this race is a phony calling each other a phony so why can’t Dolan get in on the fun?

Thanks for reading along – that’s all for the Buckeye Brawl this week. If you have questions, my email is [email protected]. Have a great weekend!

Written by Alex Willard · Categorized: Uncategorized

Dec 17 2021

What’s Mike DeWine Scared of?

For Immediate Release:

Friday, December 17, 2021

Columbus, OH — In what’s become a pattern for Mike DeWine, he’s once again hiding and dodging any accountability to Ohio voters, this time by trying to dictate to the Ohio press corps what questions they’re allowed to ask. Ahead of a press conference today, DeWine is demanding reporters covering his press conference this morning submit their questions ahead of time, showing how scared he really is to take accountability and answer questions about the real issues impacting Ohio.

It’s only the latest example of DeWine dodging accountability as he’s spent the last year trying to ‘no comment’ his way out of the largest public corruption scandal in Ohio history and refusing to tell Ohioans what he knew about the scandal and when.

“Mike DeWine once again thinks he’s above the rules and doesn’t need to bother lowering himself to answering questions about the issues Ohio voters care about. A free press is fundamental to our democracy and for Mike DeWine to try to control what questions reporters ask and when shows how little respect he has for Ohioans and the media asking questions on their behalf, ” said Ohio Democratic Party spokesperson Matt Keyes.

In case you were wondering, Ohio’s press corps has taken notice:

###

Written by Alex Willard · Categorized: Uncategorized

Dec 13 2021

“The Naughty List” and “Changing His Tune:” What’s Making Headlines With Republican #OHGOV Candidates This Week

  December 13, 2021

Good Monday afternoon, and welcome back to Mike Check, your weekly source of all the infighting, conspiracy spewing and corruption that’s making headlines in and around the Republican governor’s race and Mike DeWine’s statehouse, courtesy of the Ohio Democratic Party.

As the gubernatorial race heats up, Republicans are in disarray with Mike DeWine’s popularity dropping by the day, facing attacks both inside and outside of the Republican Party, and having to answer for the largest public corruption scandal in state history. It’s hard to keep up with all of the corruption and mess surrounding Mike DeWine and the GOP gubernatorial primary, so here are some stories you may have missed:

THE NAUGHTY LIST. For the second time in under a month, legal documents have raised more questions about Mike DeWine’s connections to the largest public corruption scandal in state history. Last Thursday, a new document was released seeking any correspondence between DeWine and dark money groups, raising further questions about what DeWine and his administration knew about the scandal and when.

A CHANGE OF HEART.  Mike DeWine has been busy the last few weeks, traveling the state to claim credit for funding he opposed. All last week, DeWine shamelessly traveled the state to tout funding for Ohio communities that was secured through the legislation achieved only with Democratic support. Legislation which, by the way, DeWine himself has been on record opposing. While we’re glad Mike DeWine has finally figured out how positive the American Rescue Plan is for Ohio, we’d like him to at least give credit where credit is due. Mike DeWine is losing political support by the day and is desperate to remain relevant to Ohio voters, even if it means he has to use victories secured by Democrats to do it.

Thanks for catching up with us, that’s all the Mike Check we’ve got for this week. If you have questions my email is [email protected]. Have a great week!

###

Written by Alex Willard · Categorized: Uncategorized

Dec 13 2021

ICYMI: Review Times: Money Flows Fast In Race For Senate Seat

Columbus, OH — According to a new report from the Review Times, the GOP Senate primary is going to be a “record-breaker” and an “arms race” based on the millionaire candidates’ access to huge sums of money. 

This follows a report from Fox News saying “the showdown is fast becoming the most expensive and ugly GOP Senate contest in next year’s midterms.” Last week, WVXU’s Howard Wilkinson argued the GOP Senate primary has “descended into meanness and pettiness and just plain craziness unlike anything ever seen in Ohio Republican politics.”

“With five months and well-stocked war chests, the out-of-touch GOP millionaires running for Senate are doing everything they can to ensure a nasty and expensive primary. They are ignoring hardworking Ohioans as they ramp up their attacks against each other,” said Michael Beyer, a spokesperson for the Ohio Democratic Party.

Review Times: Money flows fast in race for Senate seat

Denise Grant

December 9, 2021 

  • With campaign spending in the race for Ohio’s open U.S. Senate seat in 2022 expected to break records, Ohioans should brace for a bombardment of political advertising — and soon.
  • “Part of this is going to be an arms race. There will be money spent because others are spending money. Expect it to be a record-breaking campaign,” said David Niven, an associate professor at the University of Cincinnati. “It would be shocking if it wasn’t a record-breaker, given the level of competitiveness. It’s a nationalized race with candidates who have unusual access to money.”
  • That “unusual access” to money Niven referenced includes the personal wealth and political connections of Republican candidates like Jane Timken, but also the support of super PACs (political action committees). A PAC can raise money and donate it directly to candidates, but donation levels are capped. Super PACs can raise and spend unlimited amounts of money during an election season, but are restricted from donating directly to a candidate’s campaign.
  • Meanwhile, two Super PACs supporting Republican candidate Josh Mandel launched a $1 million ad campaign attacking J.D. Vance, another registered candidate for the 2022 Republican primary election. The ads take Vance to task for being a “flip-flop flipper” in his support of former President Donald Trump. The ads highlight incidents of Vance calling Trump an “idiot,” “reprehensible” and “noxious.”
  • But Vance, author of “Hillbilly Elegy,” isn’t running empty-handed, either. His super PAC received a $10 million donation from billionaire tech investor Peter Thiel, a venture capitalist and PayPal co-founder who sits on the board of directors for Facebook. Niven said Vance’s venture capitalist ties could cause the cost of the race to skyrocket.
  • “Venture capitalists are used to spending millions on millions of dollars. Those political connections from outside Ohio will open up spigots of money at every level,” he said.

###

Written by Alex Willard · Categorized: Uncategorized

  • « Go to Previous Page
  • Page 1
  • Interim pages omitted …
  • Page 268
  • Page 269
  • Page 270
  • Page 271
  • Page 272
  • Interim pages omitted …
  • Page 319
  • Go to Next Page »
Ohio Democrats

Fighting for Ohio Workers

Donate Vote Take Action
Shontel Brown, Joyce Beatty, Emilia Sykes, Sherrod Brown, Amy Acton, Greg Landsman, and Marcy Kaptur.
Facebook Twitter Instagram
  • Party Leadership
  • Take Action
  • News
  • The Scoop
  • Voter Information
  • Jobs

Privacy Policy/Terms & Conditions
Constitution & Bylaws
Contact Us at [email protected]

Paid for by the Ohio Democratic Party and not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.