TONIGHT: #OHSEN Infighting Continues in Another Slugfest Showdown
October 26, 2023
Columbus, OH – Today, the Ohio Senate Slugfest will get even nastier as Bernie Moreno, Frank LaRose, and Matt Dolan come together for another showdown in Akron. With an already “messy,” and “bruising” battle underway, the infighting will only get worse tonight as the candidates make it clear they are not fighting for Ohioans.
Over the last two weeks, this Slugfest has been more brutal than ever with the field relentlessly attacking one another over fundraising numbers, August’s State Issue 1, and foreign policy.
Here’s a refresher of the recent jabs before the field meets on the debate stage tonight:
- Bernie Moreno attacked Frank LaRose for lying and putting his political ambitions ahead of Ohioans. The jabs followed an explosive memo published by the Moreno campaign that slammed LaRose for being “immersed in scandal, political ineptitude and negative press.”
- Bernie Moreno on Frank LaRose: “We put up with so much bad behavior in politics. The reality is, you just got elected for four years as Secretary of State, you’re running for Senate, that’s part of the problem. Shouldn’t you do the job you just got elected to do?”
- Trump-ally Andrew Surabian: “At an Ohio U.S. Senate Forum, Bernie Moreno roasts Frank LaRose over his support for funding Ukraine.”
- Frank LaRose’s campaign on Bernie Moreno, after LaRose downplayed the Trump endorsement and refused to endorse the former President in 2016, 2020, and even the first week of his Senate campaign:“President Trump is smart enough not to be conned by a used car salesman into buying a lemon.”
- Matt Dolan’s campaign on Bernie Moreno trying to buy Ohio’s Senate seat after promising to not “write [himself] a big fat check:” “Bernie Moreno pledged to Ohioans on numerous occasions that he wouldn’t self-fund his campaign. What’s clear is that the former used car dealer’s credibility is eroding as quickly as his donor support.”
- Matt Dolan’s campaign called out LaRose’s “weak” fundraising.
What Ohioans read after the last Slugfest Showdown:
- Cleveland.com: Ohio’s Republican U.S. Senate candidates clash in election season’s first candidate forum
- Ohio Capital Journal: Ohio’s Republican U.S. Senate candidates clash over foreign policy in first forum
- Daily Caller: GOP Senate Candidate Accuses Primary Opponents Of Supporting Amnesty In Fiery Exchange
More on the Ohio Senate Slugfest:
- Daily Beast: Ohio Is Shaping Up to Be the Messiest Senate Primary of 2024
- NBC: “Ohio’s Senate race next year is expected to be one of the most expensive in the country. It will start with what already has the makings of a messy, Trump-influenced primary…”
- The Messenger: Another competitive and expensive GOP primary is brewing in the Buckeye State
With less than five months left in the primary, this slugfest is only getting nastier as it becomes crystal clear that none of the Republicans running for Ohio’s Senate seat are fighting for Ohioans. Find more details about tonight’s Slugfest Showdown here.