Ohio Republicans Keep Saying the Quiet Part Out Loud in Their Ongoing War on Women
November 30, 2023
Columbus, OH – After trying and failing twice to rip fundamental rights away from Ohio women this year, Ohio Republicans keep doubling down on their disgusting attacks on women and saying the quiet part out loud. It’s more than a pattern, it’s a clear indication that these out-of-touch GOP politicians aren’t backing down from their ongoing war on women.
“It’s clear from their lengthy list of disgusting attacks how Republican politicians view women in this state. These comments are not only disturbing, they’re disqualifying for any elected official. Regardless of how many times Ohioans stand up and push back, these out-of-touch politicians never learn their lesson. Time and again, the Ohio GOP has shown us exactly who they are, it’s past time we believe them,” said Matt Keyes, spokesperson for the Ohio Democratic Party.
Republican politicians not only tried to take away abortion rights, they’ve supported spousal rape, cast doubt on a ten-year-old rape victim, called rape an ‘opportunity,’ and said they want to ‘go as far as we can’ to limit reproductive healthcare. It’s clear these politicians are disconnected from reality and hold extreme views that are dangerous for the future of our state.
Read more from Republican politicians in their own words:
- Bill Dean on voting ‘no’ on legislation that would make spousal rape illegal: “I personally don’t believe that a man, if he’s married and has physical relations with his wife, that can be considered rape. I think this law can be used as a wedge between husband and wife and families and a husband and wife’s relationship.”
- Dave Yost on a ten-year-old rape victim forced to travel out of state for critical healthcare: “Every day that goes by the more likely that this is a fabrication…What I’m saying to you is there is not a damn scintilla of evidence. And shame on the Indianapolis paper that ran this thing on a single source who has an obvious axe to grind.”
- Jean Schmidt calling rape ‘an opportunity:’ “It is a shame that it happens but there is an opportunity for that woman, no matter how young or old she is, to make a determination about what she’s going to do to help that life be a productive human being. Just because you have emotional scars doesn’t give you the right to take the life.”
- Bernie Moreno doubling down in support of banning abortion while lying about November’s Issue 1: “As a dad of two girls, it’s about having that girl be able to be raped and having a rapist force her to have an abortion — all without your consent — as a minor.”
- Frank LaRose admitting he worked with special interests to ban abortion by rewriting the November ballot language to be intentionally misleading: “That [writing ‘woman’] was something that the pro-life community felt very strongly should be included in that. And they liked that as well, because the name of the ‘no’ campaign was Protect Women Ohio, and the yard signs said: ‘Protect women.’ So they wanted that, they thought that was reasonable and would be helpful to them.
- Mike DeWine: Said he wanted to go “as far as we can” to rip away abortion rights.