ODP Statement Celebrating The 12th Anniversary Of The Affordable Care Act
March 23, 2022
Columbus, OH — Today, Ohio Democratic Party Chair Elizabeth Walters released the following statement celebrating the twelfth anniversary of the Affordable Care Act becoming law:
“Thanks to the leadership of Senator Brown, Representatives Fudge, Ryan and Kaptur, the Affordable Care Act became law twelve years ago today – legislation that expanded Medicaid coverage for nearly 1 million Ohioans, lowered healthcare costs for working families, and secured protections for 2 million Ohioans with pre-existing conditions. The Affordable Care Act has made a real difference for working Ohioans by lowering the cost of prescription drugs, keeping rural hospitals open and eliminating lifetime caps.
“As Democrats are laser-focused on expanding healthcare coverage and lowering costs, Ohio Republicans – from the congressional delegation, to the millionaires running for U.S. Senate, and to Mike DeWine – have opposed these efforts at the behest of the big corporations that fund their campaigns and the expense of the Ohio families they swore to represent. As Republicans are hellbent on fighting for higher medical bills and undermining protections for pre-existing conditions, Ohioans know that they can trust Democrats to keep fighting for affordable healthcare and protections for those with pre-existing conditions.”
Several of the out-of-touch millionaires running for U.S. Senate have attacked the Affordable Care Act:
- Josh Mandel said he was “hopeful” he would be the 51st vote to repeal the ACA.
- Jane Timken admitted she got involved in politics because she was motivated to repeal the ACA.
- Mike Gibbons called the law “a disaster” and said, “After we repeal ObamaCare, we need to start from scratch.”
- Matt Dolan said that the law was “conceived wrongly, implemented poorly and has become a tool of partisan grift.”
Republican statewide officials have also slammed the Affordable Care Act:
- Mike DeWine has worked to dismantle the Affordable Care Act.
- Dave Yost has undermined the Affordable Care Act.