MUST READ: Bernie Moreno Doubles Down In Support Of Dangerous Abortion Bans Even in Cases of Rape
November 2, 2023
Columbus, OH – NBC News has the below must-read report on this interview where Bernie Moreno goes to new lengths to lie about Issue One and doubles down in support of dangerous abortion bans without exceptions, even in cases of rape. As Ohioans vote to protect their reproductive rights, the entire #OHSEN field opposes State Issue 1, supports dangerous abortion bans, and have said they would override Ohioans by voting for a national abortion ban if elected.
NBC News: Ohio GOP Senate candidate says ballot measure would let a rapist ‘force’ a woman to get an abortion
November 2, 2023
- Ohio Republican Senate candidate Bernie Moreno falsely claimed in a recent interview that Issue 1 — the ballot measure seeking to enshrine abortion rights in the state constitution — would allow a rapist to “force” a woman to have an abortion.
- Nonpartisan legal experts say his remarks are rife with inaccuracies and falsehoods.
- Thomas explained that the claim that a woman’s rapist could somehow manipulate that law to force his victim to have an abortion is also false.
- For months, groups and individuals opposed to Issue 1 have argued that the proposed amendment is intentionally worded to be interpreted to allow minors to obtain abortion care and undergo gender-affirming surgery without parental consent or notification. But, as NBC News reported in July, nonpartisan experts say those claims, too, are inaccurate and misleading. Reproductive rights advocates argue that they are misdirection designed to distract voters from protecting abortion rights — which polling in Ohio shows voters support.
- Moreno campaign spokesperson Conor McGuinness said in a statement that Moreno was “proud to stand up in defense of parental consent,” and “Issue 1 clearly states that a third party who ‘assists’ a minor in getting an abortion will be protected.”
- Issue 1 supporters argue that rejecting it would most likely have a harmful impact on rape victims seeking abortion care.
- In a statement, Brown campaign manager Rachel Petri said, “All of Sherrod’s opponents want to make Ohio women’s personal health care decisions for them, and Bernie Moreno has made it clear he opposes all abortion exceptions, even in cases of rape.”