Ohio House Democratic Caucus Communications Intern
Position Title: Communications Intern
Employment Status: Part Time / Monthly Stipend
Supervisor: Political Director
The Ohio House Democratic Caucus seeks an energetic and dedicated individual to represent the OHDC in online spaces. The Communications Intern will be responsible for managing media featuring incumbents and candidates, maintaining the OHDC’s online presence, posting to a variety of social media platforms, and creating copy for members and candidates to use for voter outreach.
The ideal candidate will have spent a minimum one cycle of campaign work, and can demonstrate experience and skill in several online platforms
Reporting to the OHDC Leadership, the Communications Intern is responsible for the following:
● Create and manage communications plans for targeted district races;
● Serve as a point of contact for emerging candidates and campaigns;
● Create content for social media, emails, and other forms of communication;
● Track progress towards goals for the organization and individual campaigns;
● And all other duties as assigned by caucus staff and the Leadership team
The Communications Intern must:
● Effectively build and maintain relationships with elected leaders and candidates.
● Meet deadlines, have a responsive and collaborative communication style.
● Have knowledge of Ohio politics, the demographic differences of the state, and an understanding of the political landscape.
● Be adaptable to the changing nature of campaigns and flexible to create new tactics and use new tools with a positive attitude.
● Adhere to the highest ethical standards. Convey a professional and positive image and attitude regarding the organization and our elected members and candidates. Demonstrate commitment to continued professional growth and development.
● A solid understanding of modern campaign practices, think outside of the box, work well with diverse coalitions, and be able to communicate high-level data and field findings to candidates and partners.
● A track record of success of being able to effectively communicate facets of campaigns to voters, the media, and stakeholders
● Comfort with content creation platforms such as Canva, Adobe Photoshop, etc.
● An approach to management that is empowers others and develops leadership;
● A belief that our mission matters and that electing Democrats to the Ohio House is critical in moving Ohio forward.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to Jordan Hawkins ([email protected]) with the subject line “OHDC Communications Intern” Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
About the Ohio House Democratic Caucus
The Ohio House Democratic Caucus (OHDC) is the official campaign arm with the goal of electing Democrats to the Ohio House of Representatives.
The OHDC is committed to inclusion and diversity. We seek to hire staff that reflects the diverse communities and perspectives that comprise Ohio. Qualified candidates of all backgrounds, and specifically individuals of color, women, Indigenous people, and members of the LGBTQIA community, are highly encouraged to apply.
The OHDC prohibits discrimination of employment, promotion, compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment on the basis of gender, disability, race, age, national origin, color, creed, sexual orientation, sex (including marital and parental status), gender identity and expression, religion, economic status, ethnic identity, veteran’s status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.