ICYMI: Jason Williams Column: You’re a Disgrace, Ohio Republican Party
May 8, 2021
In Case You Missed It, today Cincinnati.com columnist Jason Williams took the Ohio Republican Party to task for its division, dysfunction and hypocrisy as the party voted yesterday to censure Anthony Gonzalez and called for his resignation. This is just the latest episode of GOP party infighting that stoops lower and lower to appease one Florida resident while doing nothing to help the voters of Ohio.
“It’s a screwed up world where Northeast Ohio Congressman Anthony Gonzalez is the bad guy for voting his conscience. And nutjobs like Jim Jordan, blowhards like Matt Gaetz, lunatics like Marjorie Taylor Greene and phony Trump sellouts like Josh Mandel get a pass from within their own party. In fact, these losers are celebrated by today’s Republican Party,” writes Williams.
Williams’ column follows a day of GOP Twitter sniping between two candidates vying to represent Ohio in the U.S. Senate over which one had more cred with said Florida resident, and a refusal from Mike DeWine, the top elected Republican in the state, to even comment on the situation. All of this while Larry Householder remains a member of the Ohio House of Representatives.
The entire column is worth a read, but this line from Williams sums it up well: “There’s more Ohio GOP embarrassment and hypocrisy to be exposed, so please bear with me a bit longer.”
Read the column HERE and more snippets below:
- It’s a screwed up world where Northeast Ohio Congressman Anthony Gonzalez is the bad guy for voting his conscience. And nutjobs like Jim Jordan, blowhards like Matt Gaetz, lunatics like Marjorie Taylor Greene and phony Trump sellouts like Josh Mandel get a pass from within their own party. In fact, these losers are celebrated by today’s Republican Party.
- You may not have thought it possible, but the Ohio Republican Party sunk deeper into the dark valley of Trumpism when its leaders on Friday called on Gonzalez to resign and voted to censure one of Congress’ more virtuous members.
- It’s an incredibly harsh punishment for the 36-year-old Gonzalez, who’s in his second term. Gosh, what awful thing did he do? Did Gonzalez orchestrate a $60 million bribery scheme or something serious like that? No, no, no. The Ohio GOP only gives wrist slaps for that kind of stuff.
- Instead, the party that constantly whines about “cancel culture” would rather banish Anthony Gonzalez – and anyone else who dares not to fall in lockstep with the washed-up ex-president. So much for being the party of promoting independent thought, I guess.
- Gov. Mike DeWine, who I greatly respect, declined comment Friday when asked about what party leaders did to Gonzalez. DeWine thinks saying nothing will make it go away.
- All Republicans – the good ones, the bad ones, the silent ones – will regret all this someday. Their actions are driving good people out of Washington.