Fellow Ohio Republican Slams Matt Dolan’s Conservative Credentials: “He’s Running in the Wrong Primary”
February 22, 2023
Columbus, OH – Matt Dolan, who tried to create an entire personality around opposing Donald Trump in his last failed bid for Senate, is once again in the hot seat with his fellow Republicans as he waffles on his support of Donald Trump. Dolan has repeatedly refused to say whether or not he’ll support the former president since announcing his Senate bid earlier this year. And yesterday, when speaking on WTVN’s Mark Blazor show, Ohio Republican Bernie Moreno took Dolan to task for it, saying pointedly, “he’s running in the wrong primary.”
“The gloves are off in the GOP Senate primary cagematch, and Matt Dolan is already taking blows. As Dolan dodges questions on the former president, his fellow Republicans are already questioning his conservative credentials. These attacks are only a small preview of the nasty primary that Ohioans will have to endure for the next year and change. While Republicans run their race to the bottom, Sherrod Brown will be busy delivering results for Ohio’s working families,” said Ohio Democratic Party spokesperson Matt Keyes.
Read more of what Moreno’s comments below:
- HOST: “So Matt Dolan isn’t that conservative?
- MORENO: “No, No, he’s running in the wrong primary.”
- HOST: “Sorry I had to get that one in there Bernie because I know you feel, keep going I apologize.”
- MORENO: “Well it’s just very, very frustrating because you see statements already being made. ‘Hey listen, if President Trump is the nominee, will you support him?’ That, that’s not a question. That’s an unequivocal ‘anybody would be better than President Trump.’ Your daughter, I’ve met her. Dramatically better. Dramatically better than Biden, right? If she won the nomination, I would campaign for her, OK? So that’s not a tough question.”
- HOST: “What do you make of that, I mean how does someone claim to be a Republican take that position regarding the party’s POTUS nominee. I mean, he essentially said ‘I would have to take a look at it. If he focuses on the past, I’d have to take a hard look at that.’ Is that what you heard him say?”
- MORENO: “It’s a result of listening to the media, corporate media mob idea that ‘Trump bad, Trump bad.’ And you think that all of the sudden you can be one of the cool kids if you join that bashing and you say Republicans are backwards-looking and conspiracy theorists and extremists. Those lines are all attack ads for the left and when we as Republicans and conservatives adopt the left-wing talking points we’ve lost the war, we’ve lost the battle, we should just give up. And it’s just so stupid.”
Dolan has come under fire by Republicans after he repeatedly was asked about the former president and his campaign during an interview with CBS News. Dolan refused to answer the question, letting his campaign signs do the talking for him instead.