As DeSantis Visits Ohio, Here are Five Questions Ohio Republicans Should Answer
April 13, 2023
Columbus, OH – Today, Ron DeSantis’s visit to Ohio is putting Republicans in a tough spot. As Republican politicians in Ohio stumble all over themselves to embrace the most extreme wings of their party, Ron DeSantis’s visit to the Buckeye State further exposes the deep divides in the Ohio Republican Party.
As much as GOP politicians in Ohio want to ignore DeSantis’s visit and avoid taking sides in the increasingly nasty Republican presidential primary, voters deserve to know where they stand.
“Ron DeSantis’s record matches what so many of the Republican candidates running here in Ohio want to achieve. While Ohio Democrats are fighting for the Dignity of Work, Republicans in Ohio – and across the country – are fighting to strip workers of their dignity. But Ohio Democrats are going to fight like hell to make sure none of the GOP extremists running for higher office are successful,” said Ohio Democratic Party Chair Elizabeth Walters.
Here are five questions Ohio Republicans running for higher office need to answer about DeSantis’s visit to Ohio:
- Are you supporting Ron DeSantis, Donald Trump or another extreme Republican in the presidential primary?
- Do you agree with DeSantis’s record of supporting cuts to Medicare and Social Security?
- Do you agree with DeSantis’s support of a constitutional abortion ban that would ban abortion nationwide?
- DeSantis strongly opposes Medicaid expansion and has made Florida one of only 10 states in the country not to do so. Medicaid expansion has helped cover nearly a million people in Ohio – do you agree with DeSantis’s opposition?
- Do you echo DeSantis’s call to defund federal law enforcement, including the Department of Justice and FBI?