Republican Politicians are Rooting for a Government Shutdown, and It’s Going to Harm Ohio
September 28, 2023
Columbus, OH – As Republican politicians in Washington hurtle us toward a government shutdown this weekend, it’s Ohio servicemembers, families and workers who will pay the price. While Ohio Democrats are doing their part to find solutions, Washington Republicans and politicians here in Ohio, like Bernie Moreno and Frank LaRose, seem dead set on shutting down the government.
“Republican politicians in Washington and here at home are rooting for a government shutdown that would have devastating effects on working Ohioans, families and servicemembers. Our message to these politicians is clear: stop playing political games with the lives and well-being of Ohioans and do your damn jobs,” said Ohio Democratic Party Chair Elizabeth Walters.
Here’s a sampling of the ways Ohioans will be hurt by a government shutdown:
- Put critical nutrition assistance at risk for 179,262 Ohioans, including 42,341 women, 93,119 children and 43,802 infants
- Put 6,800 active-duty servicemembers in Ohio at risk of not getting paid.
- Delay 13 natural disaster relief projects in Ohio.
- The Small Business Administration would not review or approve any new business loans.
- The Food and Drug Administration could be forced to pause food inspections on a wide variety of products.
- The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) would be forced to delay inspections that keep workers safe on the job.