Reminder: #OHSEN Republicans Support Abortion Bans
June 21, 2023
Columbus, OH – Days before the one-year anniversary of the Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade, new reporting details that every Republican running for Ohio’s Senate seat holds out-of-step positions on abortion, including supporting abortion bans that make no exceptions for rape or incest.
Here’s what you need to know about #OHSEN Republicans and abortion:
- At his campaign launch, Bernie Moreno said he is “unequivocally pro-life.” He does not support exceptions for rape, incest, or life of the mother.
- Frank LaRose celebrated the overturning of Roe v. Wade and has supported an abortion ban with no exceptions for rape or incest.
- Matt Dolan celebrated the overturning of Roe v. Wade, calling it “exciting.”
Huffington Post: GOP Senate Recruits Back The Same Extreme Abortion Positions That Cost The Party In 2022
Liz Skalka and Igor Bobic
June 21, 2023
- Polls have repeatedly shown Republicans losing ground among independents on the abortion issue.
- A Public Religion Research Institute survey released earlier this year found a majority of people in all seven Trump-won states that the GOP could target — Arizona, Montana, West Virginia, Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin — think abortion should be legal in most or all cases.
- In Ohio, meanwhile, entrepreneur Bernie Moreno is positioning himself as the Trumpiest candidate in a GOP primary to take on Democratic Sen. Sherrod Brown.
- Moreno has said he’s “100% pro-life with no exceptions.”
- “Conservative Republicans should never back down from their belief that life begins at conception and that abortion is the murder of an innocent baby,” Moreno tweeted last year.
- Matt Dolan, a state senator and declared 2024 candidate who has spoken out against Trump, has supported anti-abortion measures in the legislature, as had possible Senate candidate and Secretary of State Frank LaRose.