#OHSen: A Rough Week for Republicans
April 16, 2021
This week in #OHSen, we saw a fundraising scandal, outsourced campaign footage from Russia and Ukraine and intra-party sniping over donations to a fellow Ohio Republican. And with more phony populists reportedly set to enter the race, the already messy Republican Senate primary is sure to get messier from here.
Here’s a recap of Ohio Republicans’ rough week:
Josh Mandel Gotta Josh Mandel
- Josh Mandel is so extreme and unappealing as a candidate that even loyal donors of his own party don’t want to associate with him. Axios reported over the weekend that Mandel was kicked out of a Republican National Committee event in Florida after showing up uninvited. While Mandel portrays himself as ‘anti-establishment,’ he’s so desperate to win the approval of Republican mega-donors, he’s willing to try and crash their parties — and get kicked out in the process. Read more HERE.
- Days after he was kicked out of the GOP fundraising event, Josh then turned to the donor base he knows best — donors with shady records surrounded by criminal allegations. The Toledo Blade reported that Mandel is hosting a fundraiser with Jeff Anstead, whose company faces a multi-million dollar fine for reportedly defrauding a federal program that helps Americans afford telephone and internet service. Read more HERE.
Mike Gibbons Outsources the American Dream
- Republican Senate candidate Mike Gibbons kicked off his campaign this week promising to run a different kind of campaign. Apparently, that includes using stock footage from Russia and Ukraine in his announcement video while trying to claim he’s fighting for the American dream. While Ohio offers several idyllic backdrops — Russia, Ohio is a good option — Gibbons chose to outsource campaign footage, which raises questions about what else Gibbons would be willing to outsource out of Ohio. Read more HERE.
Jane Timken Lies about Kasich Donation
- Despite telling a radio show host that she ‘never donated or supported his (Kasich’s) presidential campaign,’ campaign finance reports reveal that Jane Timken and her husband both donated the maximum amount to Kasich 2016 presidential campaign. This set off a firestorm among Republican Senate candidates, as they eviscerated Timken for…donating to another Ohio Republican. Read more HERE.
Bernie Moreno Tries to Backtrack Trump Criticisms
- Henry Gomez of NBC News reports that Republican candidate Bernie Moreno once called Trump a ‘lunatic’ and ‘maniac.’ The reporting comes as Moreno tries to outflank the other Republican candidates trying to claim the Trump mantle, each seemingly more interested in Trump’s endorsement than the endorsement of the voters of Ohio. The story inevitably led to more intra-party sniping, with Moreno’s camp attempting to throw Jane Timken’s campaign under the bus in response to questions from reporters. Read more HERE.