Ohio OBGYN Spotlights #OHSEN Field’s Support for National Abortion Ban
January 23, 2024
Dr. Kale Turner: “A national abortion ban is the end goal for politicians like Bernie Moreno, Frank LaRose, and Matt Dolan.”
Columbus, OH – In a new opinion piece for the Columbus Dispatch following the 51st anniversary of the Roe v. Wade decision, Columbus OBGYN Dr. Kale Turner spotlighted how Bernie Moreno, Frank LaRose, and Matt Dolan would overrule the will of Ohioans by voting to pass a national abortion ban.
Columbus Dispatch: My Patients Suffered Under Near Abortion Ban. If Ohio Gop Has Way, They Will Again.
Dr. Kale Turner
January 23, 2024
- Yesterday, the anniversary of the landmark Roe v. Wade Supreme Court, should have marked 51 years of a woman’s right to make her own medical decisions.
- But since Roe v. Wade was overturned nearly two years ago, politicians across our state and country have not stopped trying to pass dangerous abortion bans – and that includes every Republican running for Senate in Ohio.
- This past November, Ohioans said loud and clear that politicians have no place making women’s personal decisions in doctor’s offices —like mine— by passing State Issue 1.
- Although passing Issue 1 was a crucial step to overturning Ohio’s existing abortion ban and ensuring women and families can make their own healthcare decisions, our fight to protect reproductive rights isn’t over.
- That’s because every Republican running in the primary for Ohio’s Senate seat would support a national abortion ban — and that ban would supersede the protections now in Ohio’s constitution thanks to State Issue 1.
- Unfortunately, I don’t need to imagine the dangerous results of a national abortion ban because I’ve already seen the consequences firsthand. My own patients suffered after Gov. Mike DeWine signed Ohio’s restrictive abortion ban which banned the medical procedure even in cases of rape or incest.
- A national abortion ban would be even more dangerous and leave my patients with few or no options for receiving abortion care. The ban could also muddy the waters and slow treatment for miscarriages and ectopic pregnancies by creating extra hoops for medical professionals to jump through.
- A national abortion ban would make my patients less safe because politicians – instead of women, their families, their doctors – would have control over their healthcare decisions. That would be devastating and life-threatening for women across the country.
- Ohioans spoke loudly and clearly against dangerous bans last year. But this year, they’ll have to do so again by rejecting whoever is nominated to run against Sherrod Brown. Otherwise, Ohioans risk their voices being overruled by politicians who want to make personal decisions for them by passing a national ban.
- Make no mistake: A national abortion ban is the end goal for politicians like Bernie Moreno, Frank LaRose, and Matt Dolan.
- On what would have been the 51st anniversary of Roe v. Wade, I have a message for my fellow Ohioans: Our job is not over. Our rights are still at risk. And Ohio’s senators could very well determine the future of reproductive rights across the country this year.
- That’s why this November, we must defeat out-of-touch candidates like Moreno, LaRose, and Dolan who would mute our voices by voting for a national abortion ban.