Ohio Democratic Party Statement on Frank LaRose Entering Ohio’s “2024 Slugfest”
July 17, 2023
Today, Ohio Democratic Party spokesperson Reeves Oyster released the following statement on Frank LaRose entering Ohio’s “2024 slugfest” – one of the “messiest,” “most expensive” and “bruising” primary battles in the country.
“The Republican ‘slugfest’ for Ohio’s Senate seat is shaping up to be another long, contentious battle that will leave whoever emerges damaged in the eyes of Ohio voters. In the days ahead, the people of Ohio should ask themselves: what is Frank LaRose really doing for us?”
What you need to know about Frank LaRose:
- LaRose has put himself at the center of the August and November elections and has made a series of missteps – including sending incorrect ballot language out to county Boards of Elections, potentially costing taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars.
- LaRose has been running a shadow campaign out of his office for months, raising legal questions and ethics concerns – including that his super PAC is being run by the same operatives behind the largest corruption scandal in state history. Ohioans have been slamming LaRose for weeks for “campaigning out of his office” and being more focused on his political agenda than doing his job.
- LaRose was caught downplaying the value of a Trump endorsement at a closed-door political event while attacking Bernie Moreno – who Trump has repeatedly praised. LaRose doubled down in a separate interview.
What they’re saying about the “2024 slugfest” for Ohio’s senate seat:
- J.D. Vance on the 2024 primary: “We’re going to have a very brutal primary in the State of Ohio, just like we did in 2022.”
- Sabato’s Crystal Ball: “We wouldn’t describe any of the potential Republican Senate nominees in Ohio as slam dunk candidates…”
- Chronicle Telegram: GOP Senate Primary Will Be A Fight
- WVXU Analysis: Ohio’s 2024 Senate primary is shaping up to be a repeat of 2022
- NBC: Another bruising Senate race brews in Ohio as Republicans target Sherrod Brown