Senior Communications Advisor
Over the next two years, the Ohio Democrats (“ODP”) will build an organization to win highly consequential elections up and down the ballot. With new leadership comes a new vision for our Party, refocusing on the core fundamentals that move the needle. ODP is building back better as a focused, modern, and nimble force to elect Democrats statewide now and in the future.
Ohio must re-elect Senator Sherrod Brown in what will be the nation’s top targeted race in 2024. The battle to maintain the Senate majority will be fought in Ohio. 2024 also offers the chance to take control of the Ohio Supreme Court, make gains in the state legislature, and defend three battleground congressional seats under new legislative maps.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Ohio Democratic Party is seeking a Senior Communications Advisor to join our growing team with a focus on re-electing Senator Sherrod Brown to a six-year term in 2024 and supporting the party’s goal of winning consequential elections up and down the ballot.
The ideal candidate will have 3+ years working in political communications, with preferably at least one cycle on a statewide campaign. The ideal candidate will have on-the-record experience, a proven ability to execute creative earned media campaigns from start to finish, should be detail-oriented, a strong writer, and able to manage competing priorities and timelines.
- Planning and executing short and long-term communications strategy to define the Republican field – including through earned media, social media, events and other creative tactics
- Serving as the an the record spokesperson, rapid response lead, and press contact for the Ohio Democratic Party
- Developing relationships with the state and national press corps and regularly pitching stories, talking to local and national reporters
- Drafting daily written materials such as press releases, memos, talking points, op-eds, email blasts, and social content
- Developing relationships with key in-state political leaders and briefing surrogates and communications stakeholders on the race to drive earned media
- Brainstorming creative tactics to further the communications department’s short and long term goals
- Supporting the Ohio Democratic Party’s goal of winning highly consequential elections up and down the ballot
- This position will require travel and a current driver’s license and reliable car is required
This job description is not intended to be a comprehensive list of the duties and responsibilities of the position, and those duties and responsibilities may change without notice.
- Resilient, determined, and ready to hit the ground running on day one
- Positive attitude, self-starter mentality
- Resourceful and adaptive to priority shifts and change
- Collaborative by nature and a team player
- Availability during evening and weekend hours
- Willingness to work independently
- A current driver’s license and reliable car is required
- Fully invested in the success of Ohio Democrats
To apply, please fill out this form: https://forms.gle/c54SkHSj7MeYyuym8
The salary will be $6,500 per month. Full benefits including PTO as needed, health, dental, and voluntary vision insurance. This position is exempt under the Administrative exemption from FLSA. The hourly expectation will fluctuate depending on the campaign cycle, but will be a minimum of 40 hours per week as this is a full-time position, in-person. Housing will not be provided.
Ohio Democrats recognize our success requires a diverse mix of talented people. ODP is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee based on race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local law.