ICYMI: Chair Walters Op-Ed for Toledo Blade: August Election is about Abortion
June 20, 2023
Columbus, OH – In case you missed it, this weekend Ohio Democratic Party Chair Elizabeth Walters penned an op-ed for the Toledo Blade laying out the stakes of the upcoming August election in Ohio, especially when it comes to protecting abortion rights. Saturday marks the one-year anniversary of the U.S. Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade.
“But, here’s the bottom line: our reproductive rights are at stake, and the first step in stopping politicians from banning abortion outright in the state of Ohio is to vote no on Issue 1 in August. There’s too much at stake to sit this one out,” wrote Chair Walters.
Ohio Democrats have been organizing in communities across the state to urge Ohioans to vote NO on Issue 1 in August. The August election is a political power grab by corrupt politicians and special interests to prevent Ohioans from protecting abortion rights in November.
Read more from Chair Walters in the Toledo Blade HERE and below:
- Here’s something you won’t hear me say too often: Frank LaRose was right when he told a closed-door group of Republican donors that the upcoming special election on Aug. 8 is “100 percent about abortion.”
- For months, shady politicians like Mr. LaRose and Representative Brian Stewart lied through their teeth, telling Ohioans that Issue 1 had nothing to do with abortion, while avoiding the fact that their cause is being bankrolled by an out-of-state billionaire.
- But now, they’ve admitted the quiet part out loud: that they’re using this special election to block voters from protecting abortion rights so they can achieve their ultimate goal of passing a total ban on abortion.
- Now, corrupt GOP politicians in Columbus pushed through a $20 million, taxpayer-funded special election in August — after making special elections in August illegal just months earlier — all to prevent Ohioans from protecting abortion rights this November.
- And with the one year anniversary of the Supreme Court overturning Roe vs. Wade approaching, there’s no better time to remind Ohioans that every Republican candidate running for Ohio’s U.S. Senate seat would support a total abortion ban in Ohio if elected.
- But, here’s the bottom line: our reproductive rights are at stake, and the first step in stopping politicians from banning abortion outright in the state of Ohio is to vote no on Issue 1 in August.
- So let’s send these politicians a message and stop the war on women right in its tracks: vote no on Issue 1 and tell the out-of-touch legislators in Columbus who are hell-bent on taking away our rights:
- We won’t go back.