Candidate Services Director
Over the next two years, the Ohio Democrats will build an organization to win highly consequential elections up and down the ballot. With new leadership comes a new vision for our Party, refocusing on the core fundamentals that move the needle. ODP is building back better as a focused, modern, and nimble force to elect Democrats statewide now and in the future.
Ohio must re-elect Senator Sherrod Brown in what will be the nation’s top targeted race in 2024. The battle to maintain the Senate majority will be fought in Ohio. 2024 also offers the chance to take control of the Ohio Supreme Court, make gains in the state legislature, and defend three battleground congressional seats under new legislative maps.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Ohio Democratic Party is seeking a talented, passionate professional to serve as our Candidate Services Director. This role is a critical role within our core party operations – working with candidates ranging from school board to the U.S. House of Representatives. In partnership with the Chair, Executive Director, and Party Operations Director, the Candidate Services Director will develop and execute OH Dems recruitment, training, and support plans for candidates in odd and even years. This role will work closely with many key party stakeholders like County Chairs and Caucus leaders, and also work in close partnership with candidates and operatives across dozens of Ohio communities each year. They will craft strategic support programs and assets for 2024 state legislature and county races, help inform strategic recruitment and investment goals for 2024, and help to coordinate the progressive ecosystem towards this end. Additionally, this person will lead list management of all electeds, county chairs, and party leadership. These lists will be used to communicate broadly across the Democratic infrastructure in Ohio.
● At least two cycles of campaign experience, particularly related to training, constituency, and political programs.
● Familiarity with campaign tools like Mobilize, Votebuilder, Zoom, etc ● Demonstrated ability to work with diverse stakeholders, candidates, and volunteers. ● Demonstrated ability to mediate between and balance the needs of multiple stakeholders.
● Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, while remaining detail-oriented, focused on deadlines, and using program management tactics.
● Knowledge of the strategy and tools to run effective training programs in-house and in coordination with outside partners.
● Natural ability to connect with people, manage expectations, and manage up to problem solve for departmental needs.
● General understanding of the cadence of candidate recruitment, training, and active campaign across multiple cycles and races.
● Knowledge of the full scope of candidate races from local to state to federal and a general awareness of key differences in candidate and campaign needs among these teams.
● Excellent in interpersonal skills and building relationships
● Understanding of Ohio’s complex political and demographic realities ● Clear, effective, high-quality writer
● Patience and persistence – in achieving buy-in and participation from stakeholders ● Highly communicative – responsive to internal and external requests, emails, and calls, within reason
● Multitasker – Able to juggle multiple activities yet not lose focus on top priorities or let something slip through the cracks
● Exceptional time management and organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple projects and competing priorities
● Building processes and managing sideways to colleagues is developing skill set ● Committed to the values and practices of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace with the ability to take feedback and learn
● A passion for training – developing leadership of staff and volunteers is second nature ● Self starter with the ability to self-direct learning and networking to gain a deeper understanding of the state and our partners
● Passionate and thoughtful about what and how they do work and whom they work with; ● Resilient, resourceful, and adaptive to priority shifts and change (big and small); ● Kind but willing to apply soft elbows when needed;
● Realistic but positive in outlook, not ego- or turf-driven, able to focus on opportunities when faced with challenges;
● Collaborative by nature;
● Fully invested in the success of Ohio Democrats.
The salary will be $6,000 per month and full benefits including PTO as needed, health, dental, and voluntary vision insurance. The hourly expectation will fluctuate depending on the campaign cycle, but will be a minimum of 40 hours per week. Housing will not be provided.
Ohio Democrats recognize our success requires a diverse mix of talented people. We are focused on building a staff that is diverse in race, gender and gender expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different. Candidates of color, women, LGBTQI, and more are encouraged to apply.
To apply, please fill out this form: https://forms.gle/c54SkHSj7MeYyuym8