Jobs and Internships
The Ohio Democratic Party (ODP) is currently accepting applications for the position of Digital Director.
The Digital Director is responsible for creating a strategy for and implementing all aspects of digital media work for the ODP.
Responsibilities will include:
- Project manage proactive digital campaign for ODP (Trump Accountability, Main Street Initiative)ODP is currently running millions of ads on Trump’s broken promises to targeted Ohio voters
- Manage vendors/vendor relationships with vendors producing ads, peer-to-peer content, and research conducted through digital outreach
- Growing ODP’s email list and social media followers through paid and organic means using industry best practices
- Oversee 6-figure online funding campaign for ODP
- Managing ODP’s website and assigned social media presences to meet organizational goals
- Capturing and creating digital content, including digital still images and videos
- Creating graphics, handouts, etc. as needed
- Assisting various Democratic campaigns, county parties and activist groups with digital needs
- Monitoring social media mentions and online analytics
- Expanding and maintaining ODPs use of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube
- Coordinating with web vendor, consultants, and other various and necessary activities that are part of a robust and effective online communications operation for ODP
- Manage ODP’s Email Strategist/Digital Associate and additional digital staff as hired in 2020
Qualifications and skills:
- Political savvy and experience managing a political brand
- Experience with digital advertising platforms, primarily Facebook, Google and YouTube
- Expert graphic design and video production skills
- Experience working with NGP, Action Network, Blue State Digital, Salsa, Convivo or similar customer relationship management platforms
- Experience with SMS including Revere/Mobile Commons as well as experience with peer to peer texting
- Experience working with WordPress, or other content management systems
- Experience writing emails in multiple voices using best practices and copy editing
- Experience writing and editing basic html
- Good time management skills and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Willing to work extensive hours, including nights and weekends with some travel
Travel will be required and the position requires possession of personal transportation. The position is a senior level position at ODP and the salary will be based on experience.
This position is crucial to ODP achieving its mission of electing Democrats at all levels in 2020. Therefore, the Digital Director should expect to take on all other duties as assigned to that end.
Interested candidates should submit their resume, cover letter, several work samples and three references to HR Director Sarah Ross at [email protected].
Position Title: Engagement Director
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Duration: Core position at ODP; (can be negotiated beyond 2020 cycle)
Preferred Experience: previous work in Ohio, 3 years political experience, 1 full cycle on statewide race, congressional race or state-based organization
The Ohio Democratic Party is seeking a Director of Engagement to oversee the execution of ODP’s volunteer outreach and voter engagement program statewide. This Director is responsible for:
- Managing engagement projects and initiatives from inception to completion;
- Managing team of engagement (outreach and organizing) staff;
- Implementing a strategy to build local Democratic infrastructure and engage local elected leaders, county parties, allied organizations, and activists;
- Working collaboratively with other ODP departments to maximize our fundraising and communication efforts and to ensure that the ODP and its campaigns have the support of key stakeholders, local leaders, opinion makers and elected officials;
- Building relationships with local leaders, key stakeholders, county chairs and activists in preparation for a statewide campaign effort; and
- Building a strong party for future years and election cycles.
This position reports to the Executive Director with substantial involvement from the Director of Party Affairs.
Qualified candidates should have:
- Proven project management skills;
- Significant experience managing staff;
- Excellent interpersonal skills (e.g. respectful, inclusive, active listening, ability to make people feel comfortable, ability to persuade without appearing overly domineering, etc.);
- Be able to multi-task, meet deadlines, achieve goals, and creatively problem-solve;
- Be comfortable and confident in public speaking; be prepared to be the public face of the organization at times;
- Experience working with diverse groups, individuals and communities; and
- Have strong oral and written communication skills.
The position is highly collaborative and crucial to ODP achieving its mission of electing Democrats 2019 and 2020. Thus, the Director should be prepared to take on any and all additional duties as assigned to that end. Working night and weekend events and statewide travel are required of this position.
Interested candidates should submit their resume, cover letter, and three references ASAP to HR Director Sarah Ross at [email protected].
The ODP is dedicated to the achievement of equality of opportunity for all its employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin or disability.
CAMPAIGN MANAGER – OH-12
Alaina Shearer for Congress is seeking a campaign manager. The campaign manager coordinates all aspects of the campaign including day-to-day operations, management of staff, oversees the fundraising operations, political outreach and ongoing coordination with the candidate. They are also responsible for managing the campaign budget. The campaign manager must have excellent organizational skills, be level-headed, and have good interpersonal skills.
- Manage the campaign team’s execution of strategy and goals to include field, communications and fundraising
- Mobilize volunteers from local organizations and build coalitions with elected officials and stakeholders to support the campaign’s message and goals
- Schedule, plan and build community events with the candidate as needed
- Manage the candidate’s weekly schedule and the daily priorities of the campaign
- Help the candidate to prioritize fundraising and support the finance staff to hit fundraising goals
- Conduct weekly meetings with campaign stakeholders/consultants to report out on benchmarks and strategy
- You must be comfortable on the phone and with staffing the candidate at various meetings and events
- Drafting and sending press releases, serving as campaign spokesperson as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum 2-4 years of political campaign experience
- Staff management experience
- Experience with fundraising and managing budgets
- Proven ability to multi-task and meet competing deadlines/needs
- Understanding of digital and social media tools used in political campaigns
- Experience working with a diverse group of individuals, from elected officials to community leaders to volunteers
- Familiarity with VAN voter database and NGP
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills; successful at motivating staff to meet fundraising, recruitment and voter contact goals
- Ability to think strategically and exercise a high level of judgment
- Ability to work long and irregular hours, including weekends, evenings, and some holidays
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation required
Compensation & Application Procedure:
Competitive salary and benefits based on experience. Start time, ASAP. Please send resume, and three professional references to [email protected]
Alaina Shearer is a business owner, mother, and above all, an American who is running to bring people together to solve our country’s biggest problems. Alaina wants to use her experience to make government function effectively for real hardworking people, and ensure our children are better off than the generations before them. Throughout her life, Alaina has faced personal loss, single motherhood, near bankruptcy as a business owner, and sexual harassment. But in every case, she has picked herself back up, turning each challenge into a lesson-learned and a new opportunity. Today she is the leader of a national movement for women and a thought leader in bringing about cultural change. After everything she’s been through, Alaina has zero tolerance for the behavior of today’s average Washington politician. She is ready to meet their continued inaction and partisan fighting head-on with her positive, action-oriented leadership. Alaina lives in Liberty Township in Delaware County where she is raising four children with her husband, Seth.
ABOUT THE DISTRICT:
OH-12 is a United States Congressional District in Central Ohio, covering Delaware County, Morrow County, and Licking County, along with parts of Franklin, Marion, Muskingum, and Richland counties. The District includes communities north and east of Columbus including Zanesville, Mansfield, and Dublin. It is currently represented by Troy Balderson, a member of the Republican Party. Balderson took office following a narrow win of 1,680 votes through a special election held on August 7, 2018. Balderson was then re-elected in the 2018 general election two months later.
For more information on Alaina Shearer and the campaign, visit: www.alaina2020.com
Alaina Shearer for Congress is dedicated to the achievement of equality of opportunity for all its employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin or disability.
FIELD DIRECTOR – CONGRESSIONAL CAMPAIGN
Subject: Democratic Congressional candidate running against Jim Jordan seeking a Field
Election Day: Primary, March 17, 2020
Want to be part of a campaign that will raise over $1 million in 2020? This candidate raised
$265,000 this past quarter. Join a race with money and national momentum! We’re in a
position to win this seat and we’re looking to hire a competent field director to oversee and
execute the field plan for the primary.
Top-Tier Consultant team including, TV, Mail, Digital, and Pollster
Candidate has the ability to fundraise in Ohio and through the US
The candidate is the only woman in the race
The Field Director will be responsible for a number of tasks, including but not limited to:
Work with the campaign manager to develop and execute a plan to win the Democratic
Work with campaign team to develop and execute voter registration, door, and phone
Manage a team of field organizers, volunteers, and interns, as well as a minimum of two
Recruiting, training, and managing interns and volunteers in direct voter contact efforts
Performing direct voter contact
Working with the staff and campaign manager to meet deadlines and achieve goals
Scheduling, planning, and executing regular canvasses and phone bank
Helping with other aspects of the campaign as necessary
VAN knowledge and experience required
At least one cycle as a field organizer required
One cycle as a field director for a smaller level race or as a deputy field director on a larger
Strong interpersonal skills
Caucus experience preferred
Must be willing to relocate to the district
Must be willingness to work campaign hours, ie up to 7 days a week, including nights and
Must have a car, laptop, and phone.
How to apply:
If interested please email your resume to [email protected] with subject line: “Field
Director”. Please include some brief information about yourself.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Healthcare and help finding housing
Our campaign is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race,
color, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation,
marital status, pregnancy, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee
organization, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Any candidate who identifies as members of historically underrepresented groups are highly
encouraged to apply.
FINANCE DIRECTOR/DEPUTY CAMPAIGN MANAGER-OH STATE SENATE RACE
Senior Level Staff, Exempt Position
Reports directly to: Candidate
INITIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILTIES
o Develop fundraising plan
o Manage donor database (NGP)
o Manage candidate call time – Creation of targeted donor solicit universes (high, mid, and low tier); Organization / implementation of call time; Create call sheets
o Manage fundraising events – Manage creation of invitations, as well as creation/ targeting of invitation universes: Hard mail, Email, Outside platforms (social media, etc.); Create and manage internal tracking mechanisms to track progress/success; Provide ongoing & “final” updates to campaign and hosts (when desired); Oversee/review day of event needs (catering, valet, staffing, supplies, etc.).
o Manage solicitation programs outside of call time – Hard Mail, Email & Social Platforms § Will build and grow campaign e-mail list(s)
o Manage PAC outreach ongoing (Communication, endorsement, and fundraising)
o Manage finance department digital media / online presence
o Manage finance communications; create/refine language for all finance communications
- NON-FUNDRAISING EVENTS
o Finance Director will implement a “social events” program; Work to identify key targets to host and potentially spearhead this endeavor; Work with host and internal campaign team to identify targeted plan for outreach – in conjunction with voter outreach targets (field program)
- FINANCE DATA & REPORTING
o Oversee and collaborate with financial/compliance consultant
o Manage all outgoing disbursements (vendor payments, invoices, payroll, etc.)
o Manage internal books – to manage/review cash flow; Provide weekly updates to include raised to date, quarterly raised (to goal), available in bank account, and actually available (based on cash flow)
o Manage required reporting with compliance firm
o Manage communications, research opportunities and review campaign schedule; Make determinations/recommendations to candidate on what to attend; Coordinate staffing for each event based on finalized weekly schedule; Staff events as needed, and represent campaign for outreach
- INTERNS / VOLUNTEERS
o Oversee intern and volunteer recruitment efforts – Especially as it relates to “finance interns”
o Manage volunteer communications / posting through e-mail universe on a consistent
- OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED – This position will at least initially be the only paid staff position and the person hired must be able to multi-task and be flexible.
- Prior campaign experience, preferably in finance role
- Experience with NGP
- Demonstrated organizational and interpersonal skills
Please send resume, cover letter and three professional references to [email protected].
The Ohio Senate Democrats are dedicated to the achievement of equality of opportunity for all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin or disability.
Desiree Tims, a Democratic candidate for United States Congress in OH-10, is seeking a Finance Director (FD) to begin immediately.
The FD will work closely with the candidate and campaign committee to oversee the finance team and meet the financial goals of the campaign.
The FD will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Working with the Call Time Manager to prioritize Desiree’s call time
- Setting up and executing fundraising events
- Managing pledges to contribute
- Overseeing digital and physical mail solicitations
- Other duties as assigned.
The FD will also assist in maintaining the candidate’s schedule and accompany the candidate to relevant events and meetings.
At least one cycle of relevant experience required – more than one cycle preferred. The position will be filled by 10/31/19 and run until 12/1/20.
Salary will commensurate with experience.
Please send resume and at least two recommendations to [email protected]
INTERNS – OHIO SENATE DEMOCRATS
Job Description: Interns will assist the Ohio Senate Democrats campaign committee.
Duties include: assisting the fundraising, and political teams with various tasks, administrative staff support, and much more! School and work schedules are acceptable but must be flexible to work a minimum of 10 hours per a week. We are willing to work with interns to accommodate their schedules. Interns will be an integral part of the team and will have the opportunity for growth and advancement.
Job Qualifications: An interest in Democratic politics. Ability and willingness to work under close deadlines in a fast-paced working environment. Must have excellent writing and computer skills, organizational, and customer services skills. Candidates are to have patience and ability to work within a diverse group of individuals. Strong teamwork, and writing skills ARE A MUST! Ensure discretion and common sense when dealing with sensitive or timely information.
Open to: Qualified candidates who are college full-time or part time students without regard to their race, gender, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited by state or local law.
Location: Columbus, OH
To Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to Millie Vaughan at [email protected]
The Ohio Democratic Party is seeking ambitious and hard-working people to support our coordinated campaign efforts. We are currently focused on critical issues facing Democrats in Ohio as well as on various local and statewide campaigns. We look for interns on a rolling and ongoing basis to assist with our daily operations. Interns will be responsible for helping to support the various facets of the coordinated campaigns. They are as follows:
- Field and Organizing
- Political Data/Targeting
- Volunteer and Voter Outreach
- Information Technology
- Voter Protection
- Political Caucus Organizing
The ideal candidate must be high energy, efficient, well-organized and be able to think on his/her feet. We are looking for people who can multi-task, work well with deadlines and under pressure and are strongly committed to Democratic ideals. Candidates with excellent oral and written communication skills are preferred.
Most intern positions are offered at our Headquarters in downtown Columbus. There are some additional positions available out in the field/throughout the state. There are opportunities for evening and weekend hours as well as during the regular ‘business’ day. We will accommodate school and work schedules. If you are enthusiastic, excited about politics and want to learn, this is a great opportunity to see things from the inside.
To be considered for this opportunity, please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected].