Jobs and Internships
DEPUTY COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR
The Ohio Democratic Party is seeking a Deputy Communications Director. This individual will work to support the overall messaging strategy for the Ohio Democratic Party. The Deputy Communications Director will focus specifically on the 2018 down-ticket races. This position has a wide range of responsibilities including (but not limited to):
- Conducting media outreach and pitching stories to reporters for the down-ticket statewide candidates
- Assisting with development and implementation of over-arching communications strategy, plans and messages for the State Party
- Drafting press releases, thematic memos, talking points, rapid responses and other media outreach materials
- Facilitating press conferences and other earned media events
- Compiling press and issues information and writing briefings
- Working with legislative leadership, labor, and other partners to take advantage of press opportunities
- Maintaining and updating media lists
- Monitoring local and national press for relevant stories and developments
- Conducting online database (i.e. Lexis-Nexis), media (TVeyes) courthouse, campaign finance, public record, corporate and business filings, and tracking research
- Conducting and overseeing research projects
This position reports directly to the Communications Director with substantial involvement from Campaign Managers.
Applicants should have:
- Minimum of 3 years experience working in communications; some research experience (preferably political) required
- Experience with all aspects of social media
- Excellent writing and analytical skills and a demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with campaign operations and political communications
- Strong working knowledge of Lexis Nexis and Microsoft Office Suite; some database skills
- Ohio ties a plus
Interested candidates should submit their resume, cover letter, two writing samples and references to HR Director Sarah Ross at [email protected].
The Ohio Democratic Party is hiring a Research Assistant. This individual will report to the Deputy Communications Department with substantial input from Campaign Managers for the 2018 down-ticket races. The Research Associate will be responsible for tracking Republican opposition activity across the state for these down-ticket races.
Tracking is a vital part of campaign research that provides the Democratic Party with critical information about a Republican opponent’s public appearances, speeches and statements. The Research Assistant will monitor opponents’ schedules in order to attend all public events, film and record events, and transcribe audio and video footage collected during public events. The tracker will work closely with the Communications teams on rapid response and to develop hits on the opponent.
The responsibilities of the Research Assistant will include the following:
- Track Opponents’ Schedules – Monitor news clips, blogs, state and county websites, campaign activist websites and other sources in order to find opponents’ schedule of public appearances.
- Film Opponents’ Public Events – Attend and film all events attended by opponents.
- Transcribe Event Footage – Transcribe all audio and video footage collected during public events.
- Draft Daily Event Reports – Write daily event reports detailing each event attended by the Republican opponents. Reports will include a description of the event purpose and venue, summary of the event, attendees and audience, and key points discussed by the opponent in his or her remarks.
Applicants should have:
- Enthusiasm for Democratic politics
- Great time management and organization skills
- Excellent listening skills and ability to communicate
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Ability to handle multiple priority projects and meet established timelines.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Experience with campaign operations and political communications preferred
- Ohio ties preferred
Interested candidates should submit their resume, cover letter, and references to HR Director Sarah Ross at [email protected].
CAMPAIGN MANAGER IN CENTRAL OHIO
A progressive candidate is seeking a top-quality campaign manager for a county wide race in Central Ohio for the 2018 campaign season. We seek a highly organized, detail-oriented, self-starter with
proven leadership skills to help us achieve a Democratic victory in Central Ohio.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Managing the day to day operations of the campaign
- Creating and executing the campaign budget
- Motivating and managing staff and consultants on a day-to-day basis
- Coordinating of campaign communications
- Maintaining political relationships throughout the region
- Minimum experience of a campaign cycle
- Experience with fundraising, campaign budgets
- Management or leadership experience desired
- Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines
- Great organizational and communications skills with a strong commitment to follow-up.
- Strategic thinking and planning abilities
Candidate is looking for campaign manager to start no later than January 2018
Compensation and benefits will be competitive and negotiable based on experience and qualifications.
DIGITAL COMMUNICATIONS INTERNS for 2017
The Ohio Democratic Party is seeking Digital Communications Interns to support our coordinated campaign efforts. We are currently focused on critical issues facing Democrats in Ohio as well as on national, statewide, various local and issue based campaigns. As a digital intern, you will work to support the overall messaging strategy for the Ohio Democratic Party.
- Assist with the writing, production, publishing and content across email, social media, and websites
- Write and load emails for fundraising and GOTV efforts
- Create social media/digital content
- Monitor social media
- Provide research support for digital communication campaigns
- Assist in publishing of website content
- Monitor website performance and traffic patterns
- Provide general support functions to Communications team
- Strong understanding of social media platforms
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to work collaboratively as part of a team
- Be efficient and well organized
- Be able to multi-task and think on your feet; work well with deadlines
- A good ”eye for design”
- Be strongly committed to Democratic ideals
To be considered for this opportunity, please send cover letter and resume to [email protected]
The Ohio Democratic Party is seeking ambitious and hard-working people to support our coordinated campaign efforts. We are currently focused on critical issues facing Democrats in Ohio as well as on various local and statewide campaigns. We look for interns on a rolling and ongoing basis to assist with our daily operations. Interns will be responsible for helping to support the various facets of the coordinated campaigns. They are as follows:
- Field and Organizing
- Political Data/Targeting
- Volunteer and Voter Outreach
- Information Technology
- Voter Protection
- Political Caucus Organizing
The ideal candidate must be high energy, efficient, well-organized and be able to think on his/her feet. We are looking for people who can multi-task, work well with deadlines and under pressure and are strongly committed to Democratic ideals. Candidates with excellent oral and written communication skills are preferred.
Most intern positions are offered at our Headquarters in downtown Columbus. There are some additional positions available out in the field/throughout the state. There are opportunities for evening and weekend hours as well as during the regular ‘business’ day. We will accommodate school and work schedules. If you are enthusiastic, excited about politics and want to learn, this is a great opportunity to see things from the inside. This rewarding and valuable opportunity is a non-paid internship, but can frequently be applied toward credit for school.
To be considered for this opportunity, please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected].