Jobs and Internships
The Ohio Democratic Party is hiring a Press Assistant. The Assistant will report to the Communications Director and work to support the Communications Department in its execution of a strategic plan through November 2020. The primary role will be to support crafting of messages and media monitoring for the Ohio Democratic Party.
The primary duties/ responsibilities of the Press Assistant are as follows:
- Compiling and disseminating daily news clips
- Drafting media advisories; helping to craft messaging
- Media monitoring; maintaining media lists
- Coordinating and promoting communications events; this includes but is not limited to pitch calls
- Preparing briefing materials
- Traveling across the state to coordinate press conferences as needed
- Recruiting, organizing, and managing ODP’s ‘Truth Team’ – supporters who work to regularly place letters to the editor and other activities to gain media attention
- Prepare ODP weekly newsletter; includes gathering, writing, editing materials
- Prepare ODP weekly newsletter and women’s caucus newsletter; includes gathering, writing, editing materials
- Other projects as assigned
Interested candidates should submit their resume, cover letter and three references to HR Director, Sarah Ross at [email protected].
The ODP is dedicated to the achievement of equality of opportunity for all its employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin or disability.
FINANCE DIRECTOR/DEPUTY CAMPAIGN MANAGER-OH STATE SENATE RACE
Senior Level Staff, Exempt Position
Reports directly to: Candidate
INITIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILTIES
o Develop fundraising plan
o Manage donor database (NGP)
o Manage candidate call time – Creation of targeted donor solicit universes (high, mid, and low tier); Organization / implementation of call time; Create call sheets
o Manage fundraising events – Manage creation of invitations, as well as creation/ targeting of invitation universes: Hard mail, Email, Outside platforms (social media, etc.); Create and manage internal tracking mechanisms to track progress/success; Provide ongoing & “final” updates to campaign and hosts (when desired); Oversee/review day of event needs (catering, valet, staffing, supplies, etc.).
o Manage solicitation programs outside of call time – Hard Mail, Email & Social Platforms § Will build and grow campaign e-mail list(s)
o Manage PAC outreach ongoing (Communication, endorsement, and fundraising)
o Manage finance department digital media / online presence
o Manage finance communications; create/refine language for all finance communications
- NON-FUNDRAISING EVENTS
o Finance Director will implement a “social events” program; Work to identify key targets to host and potentially spearhead this endeavor; Work with host and internal campaign team to identify targeted plan for outreach – in conjunction with voter outreach targets (field program)
- FINANCE DATA & REPORTING
o Oversee and collaborate with financial/compliance consultant
o Manage all outgoing disbursements (vendor payments, invoices, payroll, etc.)
o Manage internal books – to manage/review cash flow; Provide weekly updates to include raised to date, quarterly raised (to goal), available in bank account, and actually available (based on cash flow)
o Manage required reporting with compliance firm
o Manage communications, research opportunities and review campaign schedule; Make determinations/recommendations to candidate on what to attend; Coordinate staffing for each event based on finalized weekly schedule; Staff events as needed, and represent campaign for outreach
- INTERNS / VOLUNTEERS
o Oversee intern and volunteer recruitment efforts – Especially as it relates to “finance interns”
o Manage volunteer communications / posting through e-mail universe on a consistent
- OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED – This position will at least initially be the only paid staff position and the person hired must be able to multi-task and be flexible.
- Prior campaign experience, preferably in finance role
- Experience with NGP
- Demonstrated organizational and interpersonal skills
Please send resume, cover letter and three professional references to [email protected].
The Ohio Senate Democrats are dedicated to the achievement of equality of opportunity for all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin or disability.
The Office of Congresswoman Joyce Beatty (OH-03) is seeking a talented and dynamic person to fulfill the role of Staff Assistant in its Columbus, OH office. The ideal candidate for this position will be able to respond to constituent needs and help all staff in the daily operations of the Office. The Staff Assistant will be the initial contact for guests and callers and will report directly to the District Director.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- minimum of two years of office experience;
- professional telephone manner;
- proficiency in Microsoft Office programs;
- ability to learn constituent management database;
- excellent organizational and proofreading skills;
- ability to use office equipment, photocopier, scanners, etc.;
- ability to work cooperatively and courteously with others; and
- availability to work long hours if necessary.
The core responsibilities of this position are:
- answering calls and forwarding to the appropriate staff member;
- providing answers to constituent calls, inquiries and letters when appropriate;
- greeting visitors to the office;
- answering constituent requests for general information, tours, proclamations, letters of support, and other inquiries;
- monitoring delivery and pickup of materials;
- maintaining front office, including office supplies;
- assisting with various administrative and legislative duties;
- managing assignments of high school and college interns; and
- coordinating and managing of the Member’s district calendar.
- assists persons who have appointments with the Member or other staff members;
- responds to constituent requests for flags, tours, letters, proclamations and other information;
- maintains handout literature regarding the district and the House;
- signs for deliveries and forwards all materials delivered to the office to appropriate staff members in a timely manner;
- maintains the office voice mail;
- ensures that requests for assistance are directed to the appropriate staff member in a timely manner;
- logs in mail;
- performs general typing and administrative assignments;
- sends, receives, and distributes materials in person and electronically; and
- performs other administrative and legislative duties as assigned.
Interested candidates should submit resume and cover letter to Ernie Davis, District Director, at [email protected] by close of business, Friday, September 20, 2019. Feel free to call the District Office with any questions at (614) 220-0003.
INTERNS – OHIO SENATE DEMOCRATS
Job Description: Interns will assist the Ohio Senate Democrats campaign committee.
Duties include: assisting the fundraising, and political teams with various tasks, administrative staff support, and much more! School and work schedules are acceptable but must be flexible to work a minimum of 10 hours per a week. We are willing to work with interns to accommodate their schedules. Interns will be an integral part of the team and will have the opportunity for growth and advancement.
Job Qualifications: An interest in Democratic politics. Ability and willingness to work under close deadlines in a fast-paced working environment. Must have excellent writing and computer skills, organizational, and customer services skills. Candidates are to have patience and ability to work within a diverse group of individuals. Strong teamwork, and writing skills ARE A MUST! Ensure discretion and common sense when dealing with sensitive or timely information.
Open to: Qualified candidates who are college full-time or part time students without regard to their race, gender, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited by state or local law.
Salary: This is an unpaid internship, although college credit is available.
Location: Columbus, OH
To Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to Millie Vaughan at [email protected]
The Ohio Democratic Party is seeking ambitious and hard-working people to support our coordinated campaign efforts. We are currently focused on critical issues facing Democrats in Ohio as well as on various local and statewide campaigns. We look for interns on a rolling and ongoing basis to assist with our daily operations. Interns will be responsible for helping to support the various facets of the coordinated campaigns. They are as follows:
- Field and Organizing
- Political Data/Targeting
- Volunteer and Voter Outreach
- Information Technology
- Voter Protection
- Political Caucus Organizing
The ideal candidate must be high energy, efficient, well-organized and be able to think on his/her feet. We are looking for people who can multi-task, work well with deadlines and under pressure and are strongly committed to Democratic ideals. Candidates with excellent oral and written communication skills are preferred.
Most intern positions are offered at our Headquarters in downtown Columbus. There are some additional positions available out in the field/throughout the state. There are opportunities for evening and weekend hours as well as during the regular ‘business’ day. We will accommodate school and work schedules. If you are enthusiastic, excited about politics and want to learn, this is a great opportunity to see things from the inside. This rewarding and valuable opportunity is a non-paid internship, but can frequently be applied toward credit for school.
To be considered for this opportunity, please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected].