Jobs and Internships
Job Duration: 21 Months (2019 & 2020 election cycles)
Preferred Experience: previous work in Ohio, 3 years political experience, 1 full cycle on statewide race, congressional race or state-based organization
The Ohio Democratic Party is seeking a Director of Engagement to oversee the execution of ODP’s political outreach program statewide. This Director is responsible for:
- Managing engagement projects and initiatives from inception to completion;
- Managing team of engagement (political/organizing) staff;
- Implementing a strategy to build local Democratic infrastructure and engage local elected leaders, county parties, allied organizations, and activists;
- Supporting 2019/2020 campaigns with strategic planning and tactical training;
- Working collaboratively with other ODP departments to maximize our fundraising and communication efforts and to ensure that the ODP and its campaigns have the support of key stakeholders, local leaders, opinion makers and elected officials;
- Building relationships with local leaders, key stakeholders, county chairs and activists in preparation for a statewide campaign effort; and
- Building a strong party for future years and election cycles.
This position reports to the Executive Director with substantial involvement from the Director of Party Affairs.
Qualified candidates should have:
- Proven project management skills;
- Significant experience managing staff;
- Excellent interpersonal skills (e.g. respectful, inclusive, active listening, ability to make people feel comfortable, ability to persuade without appearing overly domineering, etc.);
- Be able to multi-task, meet deadlines, achieve goals, and creatively problem-solve;
- Be comfortable and confident in public speaking; be prepared to be the public face of the organization at times;
- Experience working with diverse groups, individuals and communities; and
- Have strong oral and written communication skills.
The position is highly collaborative and crucial to ODP achieving its mission of electing Democrats 2019 and 2020. Thus, the Director should be prepared to take on any and all additional duties as assigned to that end. Working night and weekend events and statewide travel are required of this position.
Interested candidates should submit their resume, cover letter, and three references ASAP to HR Director Sarah Ross at [email protected].
The ODP is dedicated to the achievement of equality of opportunity for all its employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin or disability.
The Ohio Democratic Party is seeking ambitious and hard-working people to support our coordinated campaign efforts. We are currently focused on critical issues facing Democrats in Ohio as well as on various local and statewide campaigns. We look for interns on a rolling and ongoing basis to assist with our daily operations. Interns will be responsible for helping to support the various facets of the coordinated campaigns. They are as follows:
- Field and Organizing
- Political Data/Targeting
- Volunteer and Voter Outreach
- Information Technology
- Voter Protection
- Political Caucus Organizing
The ideal candidate must be high energy, efficient, well-organized and be able to think on his/her feet. We are looking for people who can multi-task, work well with deadlines and under pressure and are strongly committed to Democratic ideals. Candidates with excellent oral and written communication skills are preferred.
Most intern positions are offered at our Headquarters in downtown Columbus. There are some additional positions available out in the field/throughout the state. There are opportunities for evening and weekend hours as well as during the regular ‘business’ day. We will accommodate school and work schedules. If you are enthusiastic, excited about politics and want to learn, this is a great opportunity to see things from the inside. This rewarding and valuable opportunity is a non-paid internship, but can frequently be applied toward credit for school.
To be considered for this opportunity, please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected].